Cocktail associated with relaxation and vacation on a beach, the Mojito has been awarded the title of "Cuba's national cocktail".
Its creation could be attributed to a 16th century pirate, Francis DRAKE, who would have added sugar and mint leaves to the local sugar cane alcohol.
Another possibility, the Mojito could be a Cuban variation in the 1920s of the American Mint Julep cocktail originally prepared with mint, sugar, water and bourbon.
Anyway, the Mojito will take its current form in the 1940s, especially at La Bodeguita del Medio in Havana.
Give your opinion on iceicedaddy :
You do not have all these ingredients ? No problem. Forget the stabilizer if you do not have any at home. Replace simply dextrose and powdered glucose by usual sugar (sucrose). The sorbet texture will not be perfect but you will still get a very good sorbet.
- Take a small quantity of sucrose (60 g) and mix it with the stabilizer.
- Mix together a small amount of sucrose (60 g) and the fresh mint leaves.
- Mix together the remaining sucrose (24 g), dextrose and powdered glucose.
- In a saucepan, pour water.
- Start heating the preparation at low heat and add immediately the sucrose/mint mix then sucrose/dextrose/powdered glucose mix. Stir constantly with a whisk.
- At 40 °C, add the sucrose/stabilizer mix.
- Continue to heat gently while stirring constantly with the whisk.
- When temperature reaches 85 °C, stop heating. Pour the preparation into another container. Use the hand blender for a few seconds, taking care to hot liquid splashing risk. Immerse the container in a bath of ice water.
- Often control the preparation temperature stirring it with the kitchen thermometer. When the mix reaches approximatively 15 °C, add lime juice. Mix well with a hand blender. Wrap the container and place it in the refrigerator.
- Place the bottle of rum in the refrigerator.
- Let maturate one night.
- The next day, mix well with a hand blender.
- Pour your mix in the ice-maker to start creaming phase.
- Pour the rum in the ice-maker as soon as it starts to turn.